The Lab is at http://www.geom.umn.edu/education/calc-init/rainbow/rainbow.cgi
The values for ray height should be betwen 0 and 1. This
The wavelength should between 400 nanometers and 700 nm.
- What is the wavelength for green?
- What is the wavelength for blue?
- What is the wavelength for violet?
- What is the wavelength for red?
- What is the wavelength for orange?
- Does each color bend the same? Why or Why not?
- If the angle inside the raindrop is 47 degrees,
how many degrees of arc is it between the entrance of light and the exit?
- Look at
Try typing these three sets of parameters in the first column:
Send in 3 incoming beams of light at: 0.05, 0.1, 0.15
Send in 3 incoming beams of light at: 0.5, 0.55, 0.6
Send in 3 incoming beams of light at: 0.75, 0.8, 0.85
Sketch the results.
Which set has the outgoing rays the most concentrated? The most diffuse?
- For sets A, B and C, does it matter if you use the same colors or different ones?
- Look at
Why are the colors of a rainbow experienced as separate stripes of color and not
all mixed together around each droplet? Draw a picture if it helps to explain
- Which color is always on the top of a rainbow? Why?